Thursday 7 August 2014

top ten books i'd recommend to people who haven't read contemporary


Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday, a feature hosted at The Broke and the Bookish! This week's topic is books we'd recommend to people who are new to a certain genre. Obviously, since I'm a total contemporary junkie, I had to go with these ones. So, without further adieu, here we go! 



1. All of Morgan Matson's books. I really tried to narrow it down to just one. I really did. But, the fact is: she is queen and I worship every word she writes, and I love them all equally and unconditionally. As far as I'm concerned, she's the perfect contemporary YA author. 

2. Audrey, Wait! by Lauren Benway. If you love a hilarious, spunky MC, you're going to adore Audrey. She's one of my favourite characters in all the books I've read just because of her no-bullshit attitude. Be warned, if you're heavily opposed to swearing you might want to stay away from this one. 

3. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. For all the slightly antisocial bookworms, Cath is your girl. She's such a relatable character and it was incredibly easy for me to put myself in her shoes. Not to mention the family dynamics in this book are awesome. Everything in it is just extremely realistic.



4. The whole Anna and the French Kiss series by Stephanie Perkins. Honestly, I'm sure anyone who has the slightest interest in YA contemporary will have heard of these fantastic, wonderful books. I'm currently in post-Isla-reading bliss after finishing it a couple hours ago, and I couldn't be happier. Such a fun, romantic, funny, and sweet series. 



5. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. This is such a heartbreaking, sobering story of mental illness and suicide. It's definitely not a lighthearted read, but I recommend it as something that does a great job of tackling a really hard subject. 

6. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson. Sticking with the theme of heavier books, this one focuses on  a girl who struggles with an eating disorder. It's really chilling to see the thought process involved with these kinds of illnesses. Not necessarily a fun book, but definitely worth the read. 

7. Stolen: A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher. Just. FEELS. I really liked how complex the characters were, without giving anything away. It's just good. It'll make you hurt. 


8. Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler. Ohmygod. I can't even describe my love for this book. It sounds really cheesy from the title, and that kind of made me hesitate to read it but it's really an amazing story that isn't nearly as shallow as it looks. 

9. Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen. Obviously Sarah Dessen is very well known in the world of contemporary, so it wouldn't feel right not mentioning her! Someone Like You is one of my favourites by her, if not just for the amazing friendship between Halley and Scarlett, and how they stick together to deal with a really tough situation. 

10. Paper Towns by John Green. I mean, of course he had to be on this list, too. I didn't really want to mention TFIOS because everyone's heard of it by now, so recommending it would kind of be useless. This is a really amazing book as well, and if you haven't read it now you definitely should before the movie comes out! 

So, there we have it. I'm sorry for being so late on this (again)! Please forgive me. :) 

Recommend some books for me, any genre! What do you think I need to read?

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment