Monday 29 June 2015

out of the loop

I feel like as a book blogger, I need to be in on all these series and even standalones that are so famous throughout the world of YA. The ones that everyone else has read and obsessed over forever, the ones that are quite literally impossible to avoid in any book-related environment. This summer I'm planning on doing a lot of reading, and my goal is to get caught up on all (or most) of the hyped books and authors I've been out of the loop about for so long! Obviously, there's a lot more to read than I'm putting on this little list, but here's just a taste of what I'm missing out on.



Sarah J. Maas, in general 


If you saw my most recent post, you'll know that I started reading Throne of Glass and am loving it so far. To be completely honest, I don't know why it's taken me so long to pick up her books but I absolutely love her writing. You may also know that I bought pretty much everything she's written after reading a veeeeery tiny bit of the book, so that happened. I'm sure I'll get hooked and be caught up by the time Queen of Shadows is released! 


All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

I'm gonna be completely honest here - I've never been a particularly huge fan of historical fiction, war narratives or anything of the sort. But I also haven't really read much of the genre, so I feel like I don't get to have an opinion. I've heard nothing but amazing things about this book since its release over a year ago, and I was pretty much just waiting for it to be released in paperback because I just cannot pay $30 for a book. (Side note: my priorities are clearly not intact as I recently spent $37 on a lipstick. But alas.) Anyway, long story short: I bought it about a month ago and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a future book club pick, so I'm definitely looking forward to that! I feel like I'm going to need to set aside a day to just read this and do nothing else because I've heard it can be quite emotionally trying. 


The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak


Again, this goes along the same lines of the above. Historical/war/Holocaust books have just never really been my particular jam. But I literally feel like I'd be a failure as an English major/YA lover in general if I didn't read this. And I'm super excited to see what all the hype is about! I'm hoping that after reading these two open my eyes to all the fantasticness that is historical fiction! 


All of Cassandra Clare's books


Wanna know my theory? I don't think Cassandra Clare ever sleeps. Seriously, that's the only explanation I can think of for how she seems to have a new book out ALL THE TIME. Either that, or she's been writing literally since birth. One of the two. Anyway, I really do want to read her books and get caught up with the whole Shadowhunters universe, and I'm sure I will eventually. It just feels like suuuuch a commitment to have that many books all in the same sort of realm. I do have a box set of The Mortal Instruments series, so I will get to it! Just maybe not this summer. :) 


Also all of Rick Riordan's books 


I KNOW. I KNOW, oKAY? I read The Lightning Thief last summer and I absolutely freaking loved the shit out of it, but for some reason I haven't gotten to the rest of the series yet, never mind his other series. I don't have an excuse. I'm just terrible, and Rick Riordan is everything. Summer goal, hands down. (Going to Chapters website right now to buy the rest of the books OOPS)


The Lunar Chronicles series


This is another one that I'm going to end up reading very soon hopefully. Cinder is on my tbr for this week's readathon and again, I think I'm going to end up getting hooked! My friend Tracy has been pushing me to read this series for probably over a year now, and I'm pretty sure that she'll kill me if I don't get caught up soon.

What should I read first? Let me know what you think in the comments! 
1 comment on "out of the loop"
  1. Totally agree with this! I haven't started Throne of Glass series & anything from Rick Riordan yet. Also I can't start The Mortal Instruments too because there's so much hype on it. :(

    ReplyDelete